

**NASH RANCH ROAD ASSOCIATION**  
**Minutes of Board Meeting – March 16, 2013.**  
At the ranch of Tom Spinardi, Big Meadow Road.  
Don Harris, Tom Spinardi, Bruce Wicinas, Steve Bramble.  
Minutes by Bruce Wicinas 3/24/2013

(Don, Tom, Steve arrived earlier and started discussing, mostly about the brush clearing recently executed on Big Meadow Road.)

Partial re-iteration of discussion before Bruce arrived:

**Don:** I called every owner on Big Meadow to get permission to do the brush clearing.

**Tom:** Big Meadow at that dip could "go" some time. There is a big oak with a huge limb cantilevering away from the road. In a storm that cantilever limb could uproot the oak, taking out a big chunk of the road.

**Tom:** François says we need to put a culvert there.

**Steve:** That place by Imhoff's is a mess. I don't know how you fix it.

**Don:** Let's put that on the next agenda.

**The meeting convened at 9:54 AM.**

**Don:** The brush clearing entailed three days work. The responsibility for us is 20% which translates to \$1500. We can apply our time to offset the dollar costs. So counting our hours spent, \$1000 may be sufficient cash cover our share of \$1500. They did two days work and then added one day. They went all the way down to Bruce's two redwoods. They ground the scotch broom into the ground.

**Tom:** I sprayed the scotch broom but it did not die. Maybe my Roundup is no good anymore.

**Tom:** Joy can mail the check to us to get the signature.

**Steve:** Future work can include the place where Imhoff's and Scott Homestead and Big Meadow come together.

**Tom:** I called Fred Bonnano. "What do you think about the road condition?" I asked. He said he was too busy to talk about it.

**Lower Road**

**Steve:** About the e-mails from Paul -- --

**Don:** I called Tom last night. Paul has dictated to us the upper-lower road allocation. He has unilaterally changed the allocation proportion from 60-40 to 57-43. That's is not his privilege. He is not the board. This is overstepping.

**Steve:** Joy says the proportion is based on income billed.

**All in agreement:** This is a board decision, not Paul's decision.

**Steve:** When Nancy was doing the books Paul had to get involved. Maybe he developed a cavalier attitude. With Joy on the books, it will work better. We need to inform Paul that the board must endorse any change.

**Don:** The arrangement into separate accounts for upper and lower road is an unnecessary complexity that adds work.

**Bruce:** Judging by his e-mails Paul has already had a perception adjustment. Let's let time take care of the decision about consolidating accounts. Paul may admit the account separation is unnecessary now that Joy is keeping the books.

**Steve:** We can let the bookkeeping keep track of the separate amounts. We no longer need separate accounts as a method of keeping track.

**Tom:** Speaking of joy -- all of Joy's submitted bills contain an annotation of the amount of time

charged by Don to do the same amount of work. For example, she says "time spent is below Don's time charged by amount so-and-so."

**Don:** What?

**Don:** We have to be careful of micro-managing joy.

**Tom, Bruce, Steve:** Are we micro-managing Joy?

**Steve:** I like her voucher idea. We approve the bill; she writes the check.

**Tom:** I don't think we should do the voucher now.

(Steve and Don explain the detail of Joy's voucher proposal.)

**Tom:** Oh, the signature on the voucher is electronic? Then I approve!

**Don:** (stating our motion concerning Joy's voucher suggestion - which we unanimously approved:) We adopt the proposed voucher system. Tom approves expenses via a digital signature. Payment is issued via a check with two signatures.

#### Savings Bank Signature Card

**Don:** Regarding the savings bank signature cards...

**Bruce:** I don't think we all need to be on the signature card. I've only signed a check once. The more people on the card the more often we have to change the card.

**Don:** I propose the signatures of Tom, Dawn, Joy. Since none of these three will change this August we can order a new card at this time without a worry we'll have to replace it within a few months.

**Steve:** We need a resolution signed by our secretary for the bank to draw up the new set of papers. **[to-do item for Bruce.]**

#### Anticipated Road Work

**Tom:** The roads are pretty good now.

**Bruce:** This is partly thanks to the 39 loads of rock which were applied three years ago.

**Tom:** For the lower road -- I want a listing of what we spent last year.

**Bruce:** We need to consider a longer look-back interval than only through last year. The recent two years have not been average years.

**Tom:** The work near Doug and Judy's was never done. The day it was supposed to happen the operator did not show.

**Steve:** We have to make sure it happens before a next meeting, or Doug will bring it up AGAIN.

**Steve:** What work remains to be done this season?

**Bruce:** Do you have a list?

**Tom:** Here's are the jobs I want to do

-- the Nelsons';

-- grading of Steve Bramble's road;

-- grading of Seekin's road;

-- finish at the creek crossing; (- secretary not sure what crossing)

Steve Henderson recommends "ditching" in the spring. Steve recommends rocking in the fall, not the spring. He says that without moisture following rocking, the rock just gets swept off the road by traffic. We'll do no more rocking this spring.

**Steve:** Make sure you do the grading.

**Bruce:** We've applied far less rock than usual in the last two years.

#### Spending decisions: per policy or ad hoc

[There followed an animated discussion about spending and spending policy. Bruce argued that spending decisions for the current year should not be based solely upon the weather and brush conditions of the current and preceding year. He urged that spending should be partly driven by a consistent policy which heeds enough years of spending history to include bad years as well

as good. For example, rock is a long-term capital investment. A proportion of the spending should always be dedicated to rock rather than applying rock in response to the urgent need at particular spots. A spending framework would cover the capital investment objective as well as the consistent set aside of some amount to a reserve fund for exceptional expenses. The spending framework must be reconciled with income expected. Probably the upper road needs more income since it remains "broke" even in good years, whereas the Lower Road is now swimming in cash. Don and Tom disputed the need for any policy and felt that looking back to the previous years was sufficient. Bruce asserted that these questions are key to our mission as a board are the proper consideration for the proposed "basis for dues" committee. A well thought policy for spending can be our legacy as board members. It will enable future boards to be more effective right from the date they are seated and make road maintenance more consistent over the years. Time being short, Bruce proposed tabling the argument for the moment and requested the others to give the issues more thought.]

Candidates for the "basis of dues" committee

**Steve:** How about Judy Nelson, Imhoff, Jodi, Evelyn, Dan Sicular.

Lower Road Meeting

**Bruce:** I will attend the Lower Road meeting on the 30th. **[to do for Bruce]**

Proposed board candidates

(How many seats are open?) **[to do: Bruce to look up terms; anyone else's up?]**

- Koebler.
- François?
- Keith?

Website:

**Don:** I have WordPress set up.

**Bruce:** Send me the credentials. I recently learned WordPress.

Taxes

**Steve:** We've never filed taxes in spite of taking in a large income over many years.

**Don:** We can apply for a 501(c)3. There is a company that does this for a fee of \$2000.

**Steve:** Do we need to outsource?

**Bruce:** Let's ask Joy if she knows about how to do this.

**Don:** We can get more grants if we are a 501(c)3. I know there's a lot of grant money out there.

**Don left at 11:15 AM. The meeting formally adjourned.**

Wild pigs -- --

**Bruce:** That's an agenda item for some future meeting.

**NASH RANCH ROAD ASSOCIATION**  
**Minutes of Board Meeting – June 8, 2013.**  
At the ranch of Tom Spinardi, Big Meadow Road.  
Don Harris, Tom Spinardi, Bruce Wicinas, Steve Bramble.  
Minutes by Bruce Wicinas 7/9/2013

Before formally commencing the meeting the directors chatted about the anticipated Dust off applications.

**The meeting convened at 10:35 AM.**

Annual Meeting

**Tom, Steve:** We have to prepare the mail-out in anticipation of the annual meeting. What is the date of the meeting?

**Bruce:** At last year's meeting we discussed alternating the meeting date among about three weekends at end of July and early August to determine which weekend was best attended. Several of those weekends conflict with regular local events.

**Tom:** I am not available the first weekend of August.  
(After discussion we settled on the third weekend of August, August 17.)

**Bruce:** I regret that date a little, since we never discussed holding the meeting that late. But this year the third weekend is relatively early. Hopefully no one will protest. What about the location?

**Don:** We can do it at my place.

**Bruce:** Is there enough shade to shelter everyone? And how about parking?

**Tom:** So it's decided - August 17, 2:00 PM, Don's Parcel.

**Bruce:** Is it O.K. to invite the Clowe Ridge people to the potluck?

(Discussion about inviting Clowe Ridge)

**Steve:** We can inform and invite Elizabeth Brashier. She can invite others at her discretion. If they attend they are not eligible to vote.

Mailings

**(Discussion)** Two board seats are open. Even though both directors are willing to run again we need to mail people a ballot as soon as possible. After discussion we committed to two mailings. The first is to announce the date of the annual meeting, since it differs from the customary. It will contain the ballot. It must go out immediately. A second fatter mailing, 30 days prior to the date of the meeting, will include financials, a letter describing what we have done, minutes of last year's meeting, and agenda.

**Tom:** Bruce, can you get that first mailing to Joy by Monday morning?

**Bruce:** O.K.

Proposed agenda for annual meeting

- Call to order
- Introductions
- Minutes
- Election of directors
- Financials
- Old business

Report from the "ad hoc dues committee"  
Highlights from Bruce's attendance of the Clowe Ridge meeting  
The website  
The hiring of Joy  
Brief summary of work done

- New business  
Fire escape over to Holmes Ranch.

#### Discussion about dues and the anticipated "dues committee"

**Steve:** Fee per owner is better than fee per parcel.

**Don:** Mila Handley pays the highest bill of anyone.

**Tom:** What do we do about bad debts?

**Don:** We get a lien on the property.

**Steve:** That requires a court judgement so it requires someone's time.

**Bruce:** John Wilde took several owners to small claims court in the 90's. Gimblett appealed. The submittal to the Appeals Court was quite a lot of work. The Road Association prevailed.

**Bruce:** First we can make our mailing protocol more routine. We execute a standard 3 mailings. The first is the regular bill, the second mailing is a reminder bill, the third mailing is a letter that is more threatening.

**Steve:** Maruna always complains.

**Bruce:** That problem goes way back. The board took Maruna to small claims in the 90's.

**Don:** Owners' status changes - part-time or full-time - are hard to track and to certify.

**Steve:** The charge for multiple parcels remains an issue.

#### New and Old business

**Steve:** The repairs to Doug and Judy's road must be done prior to the annual meeting.

**Tom:** I want to execute the following work in this year:

Repairs to Doug and Judy's road;

Grade Seekin's road;

Grade Bramble's road;

Deal with the little sinkhole opposite Bruce's driveway.

**Tom:** François says he will donate the cost of some rock to be applied for the back road.

**Don:** In a big rain, that back road could "go."

**Steve:** Steve Henderson's recent grading has made a big berm. Does it need ditch-outs?

**Don:** Let's ask Steve why he did that.

**Don:** François's responsibility is to hand-clear brush that the masticator could not reach.

**Bruce:** Get François's input.

**Don:** For the fire escape to Holmes Ranch the fire safety council of the valley could put in total of \$30,000. We would have to put in 10%.

**Tom:** That road is nice, but steep.

**Don:** In the right weather, it's almost easier to hand-pull brush than to cut it or spray it. A hired man is able to pull an acre of broom in a few hours.

**Tom:** On accounting -- let's change some categories listed on the report.

**Bruce:** Those same categories have appeared for more than ten years. I think the Quicken reports are set up that way. Keeping the same categories allows us to continue to compare spending categories across many years.

**Steve:** I think Paul Meullier did the setup.

**Don:** Lower road clearing is needed. It's getting narrower.

**Steve:** Be sure to pick up the brush after cutting.

**Tom:** Fred Bonanno says the upper road is getting narrowed by brush growth.

**Steve:** How busy is Norm Koebler right now?

**Tom:** I'll give him a call.

(Some discussion about the stability of the road embankment on the downstream side, Martinez Culvert.)

**Tom:** A "Humboldt" is an old creek crossing consisting of logs covered with dirt. That's what we've got.

**Bruce:** Maple tree roots could permanently stabilize the slope. But they would have to be irrigated for a few years.

**Tom:** You should talk to Roman Martinez.

(Bruce "to do" -- talk to Roman Martinez about planting maple trees.)

**Bruce:** We need a sign announcing the dip. People can't see it and passenger cars hit it pretty hard.

**Others:** Erect a sign.

**Bruce:** We need to paint the Steve Williams bridge after sanding the rust.

(Discussion. Directors though this an unfamiliar task and that Bruce should supervise its execution.)

**Bruce:** O.K., the next time I hire a laborer I will have him spend a couple hours on it. I'll charge the association.

**Steve:** We need to re-surface the bridge. It's worn down to the metal.

(Discussion of sinkhole near Bruce's driveway.)

**Tom:** Steve Henderson looked at the sinkhole opposite Bruce's driveway.

**Bruce:** I think there is an old metal culvert under the road at that point. Water is conveyed to my side of the road at that point. If a new culvert is needed I'm willing to pay the cost of a replacement culvert if the road association will pick up the labor. I make use of that slowly seeping water. It sustains a number of trees on my side.

**Steve:** Regarding our tax status -- we have never filed a tax return. We qualify for 501c4 status. However, \$50,000 per year income is a threshold. We qualify only if we're under. We're at about \$47,000. I'm going to apply from 2006, not from 1992.

**Steve:** Let's aim to get Alan Kala on the board.

**Adjourned at 12:14**

51101 Nash Mill Road, Philo, CA 95466  
Minutes by Joy Andrews; editing by Bruce Wicinas

Called to order by Chair Tom Spinardi at 2:15 pm.

**Directors present:** Tom Spinardi, Don Harris, Bruce Wicinas, Steven Bramble; **absent:** Alexa Harz

**Introductions** – Joy Andrews, Bookkeeper

**Association Members present:** Paul Meilleur, Susan O' Donnell, Evelyn Ashton, Nancy Mayer, Glenn Gasaway, Zac Robinson, Keith Haycock, Ann Christen, Francois Christen, John Wild, Mimi Wild, Doris Gimblett, Jim Gimblett, Ross Sierck, John Riley, Doug and Judy Nelson, Jody Williams, Bill Hollibaugh, Andrew Rudovsky, Kathleen Rudovsky, Marianne Bramble, Alex Korn, Sharon Korn, Fred and Heather Buonanno, Bill Seekins, Ben Gasaway, Keith Haycock

#### **A. Approval of last year's minutes**

Bruce read a portion of the minutes which had been omitted from the version recently mailed to members. Nancy Mayer struck one comment from the minutes ("Nancy: We're on record – we don't want parcel fees."). Motion by John Wild to approve the 2012 minutes as amended, seconded by Francois Christen. Minutes approved. Francois said that the date of this meeting is out of compliance with that specified in the bylaws. He suggested changing the bylaws for flexibility in meeting date. Bruce will e-mail a copy of bylaws out.

#### **B. Election of officers**

Tom Spinardi said that boardmembers Alexa and Bruce came up for reelection. We received 10 votes to reelect these officers No new candidates were nominated. Francois said there's a rumor Alexa is not a permanent resident. He was referring to the requirement in the bylaws that at least two board members are permanent residents. Don said her son is going to attend the Anderson Valley elementary and she is paying the dues of a full-time resident. He added that nobody else had stepped forward to appear on the ballot. Bruce mentioned the difficulty of

identifying residents willing to serve on the board who have not already done it. He asked people to speak to residents about serving. Steve said his term ends next year and he will not run again. Don said his term expires next year. Ben Gasaway asked if residency was a matter of where you live or what you pay. Nancy asked if we want to change the bylaws to reduce the required number residents required on the board. Bruce said it is important for residents to serve because they have more and fresher information about conditions and are dependent upon the road. Bruce and Alexa were welcomed back to the board unopposed.

#### **C. Financial report walk-through**

Steve said total receivables at year end were \$7300 and have since grown to \$9800. We have accumulated \$20,000 cash. Francois asked what we're going to do about the uncollectibles. Paul said we should re-label them "overdue" as they are not technically uncollectible. Joy explained that the "accounts receivable" and the "uncollectible" lines on the balance sheet are the same; she does a quarterly adjustment so the numbers get reconciled. Jim said, don't let the debts go too long. Evelyn said, if individuals are persistent non-payers we have the option of going to small claims court. Bruce said, we're talking about it doing that. It's a time-consuming chore. The association has done it in the past but not recently. Francois volunteered to help with that.

Continuing the walk-through, Steve said the income in 2012 was \$40k, income in 2013 is \$41.5k. Total expenses were \$30k to date last year, this year \$21k so far. At end of last year had \$10k in net income. Nancy asked if all the accounts payable had been paid. Joy said, yes. Paul said both upper and lower road are ahead by \$12k this year. Concerning the "Profit and Loss" report Zac asked about bad debt expense. Joy and Paul will look at it. Nancy asked about the "transportation and travel" item. Joy said, that covers trips to Philo PO box from Boonville fire station and from her house in Ukiah to the bank 2-3 times/month.

**D. Old Business****1. The hiring of Joy Andrews, part-time bookkeeper**

Joy said she started October 30<sup>th</sup>. Nancy said when the annual mailing goes out, the board should do the envelope stuffing to save money. Bruce said after Joy completes one year, we'll look at the extent of her paid duties to determine whether we are over-utilizing her. Don said when he did a mailing it required 3 or 4 hours and is part of overall responsibilities of the bookkeeper. Bruce mentioned that the editing of the informational documents is time-consuming and is performed by the board. Nancy offered to help with the mailing. Paul said that Clowe Ridge is bringing Joy on as bookkeeper. Volunteers burn out unless their burden is held to a reasonable expectation. John R. asked about getting people on electronic billing. Don said there has been some resistance to sharing e-mail addresses. Nancy suggested putting a notice in the next mailing to ask for e-mail addresses.

**2. Highlights of the Clow Ridge meeting**

Bruce said he attended the most recent meeting of the Clow Ridge association, a few months earlier. He reported that their meeting is more placid because they don't have the problems we have. Their income and expenses are a closer match than ours. Paul, who belongs to Clowe Ridge, said they have 7 miles of straight road with no bridges. He affirmed that upper Nash Mill Road has enormous headaches that Clowe Ridge doesn't have. Bruce continued the report: though not an item on that day's agenda the group voted to increase the dues by 40%. The motion passed almost unanimously. Dues had not been increased in 20 years. Paul said he is assuming management of Clow Ridge Road Group from the Brashers, the former officers.

**3. Brief summary of work executed**

Tom said last year we completed work at the nearby culvert at lower Big Meadow, armoring the approaches and installing a critical dip required by Fish & Game. Bruce said he and Tom did the labor of the "armoring" as a donation. Ben asked if the angle of the dip is

specified as well as the depth. Ben said that between his place and Siculars there is a requirement that fences be at least 35 feet apart. Tom continued: we did the "gooseneck" by Gasaways'. We rocked and graded much of Big Meadow Rd. On the emergency escape route that extends after Big Meadow Rd we performed brush mastication, cleared wood debris left on the road and graded it so that fire equipment can drive through during the fire season. This was our end of a deal with the Fire Safe Council. Don said Fire Safe Council paid 80% to our 20% cost of the brush abatement. Our share was \$1,000. Tom said that Anderson Valley fire chief Colin Wilson wants to maintain a big loop from Big Meadow road to Scott Homestead Rd. for defense against fire.

Fred asked if the deal with the Fire Safe Council included a commitment that it would be kept clear. Don confirmed: the council did the trimming and we have to do grading. This is the reason that road was recently graded though the dry season is not the ideal time for grading. Anderson Valley fire Chief Colin Wilson would like to extend the fire defense route improvement to Holmes Ranch before he retires. Fred raised concern about whether we are extending the length of road to which we are hereafter committed to maintain. He reminded that we have insufficient funds to maintain the miles to which we are already committed. Fred asked if we can extend the improvement up Nash Mill Rd. where it is presently only a one lane road. Don asked to talk about it after the meeting. Francois said that the road is not presently impassible. Fred said no work has been done past Scott Homestead in 5 years. Don said he will ask Colin to drive the road and see if we can partner with the Fire Safe Council about its improvement.

**4. Progress report from the "Ad Hoc Road Committee" and maintenance issues**

Bruce said, last year we proposed forming a committee to discuss the amount of dues we charge and our logic of charging them. Judy Nelson, Nancy Mayer, Francois, Bill Seekins agreed to participate. Bruce attended on behalf



of the board. The committee immediately observed that we do not know how much money we regularly need. On the upper road, income doesn't match expenses. Every year people complain about work not done. The Lower Road has a more comfortable income. They can afford Dust-off, a rather expensive luxury, and still reserve money. The Upper Road has many unaddressed alarming conditions that are yearly forwarded to the next year. Francois and Bill agreed to drive around and do a survey of road conditions which are not visible to a drive-by. They executed this survey over several weeks. This yielded a description of maintenance issues.

At second meeting the committee considered how to spend money. Though income is not sufficient the committee urged allocating to long term as well as short term needs and to fund a reserve. Long term needs include items like culverts and rock which are permanent improvements. The committee may meet one more time to focus strictly on the dues system.

Bruce said, it is a help to have the committee convene to focus on these issues for which the board doesn't have the time in spite of the number of hours it devotes to its job. Francois said that another committee recommendation was systematic rotation of periodic maintenance of tributary roads. The present level of income is not nearly sufficient to cover routine and preventative maintenance. He asserted, there's no way to fund a reserve. Heather asked if the committee considered correlating more heavily used roads and number of residences. She suggested using that as a basis of dues. Francois said we could report on that.

Andrew Rudovsky said he has a letter from Hope Lang asserting she's been paying dues since the 70's but has seen no grading in her vicinity. Tom said there's a chain across the road that approaches her parcel. Andrew said the chain is not locked. Mr. Bonano said, there are 10 people located beyond the chain. Tom said he typically will not cross an unexpected chain until he hears from the person who placed

the chain, ~~considering it a strong assertion of owners' desire for privacy.~~ Tom said he would be happy to survey past the chain given landowners' permission, if accompanied by the landowners.

Don said the rotating plan will help the problem referenced by the Hope Lang letter. Jim said that to get people to spend more on dues the association needs to do a little work in everybody's vicinities. He has been on the road for 40 years and has mostly been caring for his road himself. Steve said that no work has been done on his road for 12 years. We should decide a rotating plan but the bottom line is we don't have enough money to do what is needed. Don said the committee will come back to us with a proposal.

John R. asked how many days/year the road is worked on. John said we could look at the number of days work is done and pay an assessment to the county for them to execute the work for us. Bruce said that government labor charges would surely be far higher than ours; we pinch pennies and improvise. Fred said the rotating plan is a good idea. He said the deal regarding the fire escape route is good because the fire dept. is thereafter committed to maintaining more road. Fred asked if anyone has talked to Holmes Ranch people. He understand that they don't like that road being used.

Nancy asked about the Martinez culvert. Francois said they're talking to government agencies about getting grant money and we aren't ready to discuss that.

### **Tom's spreadsheet of needed work, prioritized and costed**

Tom and Steve executed an upper road survey concurrent with Francois and Bill's. Their list and the other list were reconciled. Tom formatted it into a spreadsheet, computed labor and materials estimates for all items, and highlighted priority items. Copies of the spreadsheet were distributed. Everyone began to

review it.

Regarding the spreadsheet, Tom said we have \$20k in bank. Bridge maintenance and the slide past Clowe ridge are omitted, are some other things. Last year we were supposed to do Moore Homestead Road but rain started early. This year Moore Homestead is first priority. The work prioritized for immediate action totals \$14k. This is highlighted on the spreadsheet. We can definitely spare \$14k because the yearly overhead costs such as insurance have already been paid. Francois noted that the spreadsheet indicates over \$40k of work to be done. Paul said, if you apportion what percentage of the money goes is required to get you to the end of the road, there isn't much money left.

Bruce asked if anyone thinks we're misspending on anything. Heather said, if we're not correlating where people live, we're misspending. Zac said he knows another road association that bases billing on the density of residences. Zac will volunteer to study that. John R. said, primary access is more important than secondary and should be better funded.

Jim said that the grading done prior to the Dust-off application left loose dirt at the ditches. This should have been moved to the crown of the road. Ben said the timing of Dust-off was bad because the Dust-off created mud that caused driving difficulty. Tom said it was unusual to ditch at this time of year. The ditching contractor said the scraped-off spoils contained too little rock to make it suitable to move back onto the road crown. But due to that ditching we won't have to ditch this year. Typically we apply rock to the road crown.

Nancy said Steve Henderson is a problem. Ben said if we're paying Steve twice, it's cheaper to get someone else to do the work. [Note from secretary: the road association was not charged for the second pass which Ben observed.] Steve Bramble said Dean Titus personally told him he didn't want the Road Association's work if he didn't get the whole job. Steve Henderson does exactly what he's told. Because of the

magnitude of the upcoming work we plan to seek quotes from both contractors Steve and Dean and from one more person who has not formerly worked on our road. Fred asked why Steve Henderson's equipment sat on the road for three months. Tom said, though the equipment is a little unsightly its proximity makes him and his equipment available practically on call. Don said, we must pay the others to haul their equipment in and out so we save that cost.

Nancy said we need a "brush committee" and a "ditch committee." She offered to head the brush committee. Tom said a piece of equipment is faster for ditching but a brush committee is a good idea. Paul said, every year the Clowe Ridge folk have a "party" and rent a piece of equipment from Jack's. Clowe does not currently meet fire specs. Glen Gasaway said that the upper road used to do that years ago. Don volunteered to help with the brush clearing.

#### **E. New Business**

1. **Fire escape route over to Holmes Ranch** – already discussed

2. **Routine maintenance anticipated this fall** – already discussed

**F. Date and location of next year's annual meeting** - Steve said the bylaws set the annual meeting to second weekend. We have been trying alternate weekends to find one which improves attendance. Francois moved we set the meeting to 3<sup>rd</sup> weekend in August, seconded by Paul. Motion carried unanimously. Francois volunteered to have next year's meeting at his place. Judy Nelson thanked the Board for their work, Francois said Tom and Bruce have done a lot (round of applause). Tom and Bruce thanked the ad hoc committee.

Meeting adjourned by Chair Spinardi at 3:50 pm.

# DRAFT

## NASH RANCH ROAD ASSOCIATION Notes of Board Meeting – August 22, 2013.

Conference call

Tom Spinardi, Bruce Wicinas, Steve Bramble.  
Write-up by Bruce Wicinas from recollection 9/4/2013

**The call commenced at 8:00 PM.**

Steve, Tom: Doug's e-mail.

Tom: I talked to my sister... "detention pond" On our driveway, just ditch for now.

Steve: Bill and Doug are against putting a culvert \_\_\_\_\_ Nash Mill.

Tom: Taking jabs at us.

Steve: They're respectful of this board.

Tom, Steve: They don't have much to do.

Tom: Fall grading?

Steve: We have to get bids on the other work. Steve, Titus, Flowers.

Tom: It's hard because the description is vague. My view: get the other guys out here, walk them through it.

Tom: It may be too much for one guy. As much as I like Steve H, I don't want him to get done in time. Lasy year he did that big turn at Gasaway's. He finished on Sunday. I called the Nelson's. "He'll be there on Monday." It rained on Wednesday.

Steve: I can call Titus.

Tom: I'll call Titus.

Steve: He'll say, "I'm gonna punish you some more."

Tom: Hope, Bonano, Holobaugh. What's with them.

Tom: I'll call Dean.

-----  
Steve: Post mortem on meeting – there is an expectation that more be done on the upper road.

Steve: Fred – he wants more brush clearing. He has people coming to his tasting room. Bruce, you need to add him to your committee.

Bruce: Commercial charges on logging? Charges for a tasting room? Clowe Ridge puts the burden of brush clearing largely back on the owners.

Tom: Idea for our committee: pay up until junctions. After junction, people pay into a per-road fund. They spend as they please.

Steve: Doug and Judy live on the end of a long road. Everybody pays for the main road. Then there's a big slide...

Steve: What we pay is not enough.

Steve: They've defined "road maintenance." Our owners aren't happy.

Bruce: Clowe Ridge is happy.

Steve: We can't forget Rudofsky.

Steve: We can do polling(?), we have to get this work done.

Tom: Receivables, Francois has offered to pursue those who owe. I don't like that list to get out. Francois offered. Is that O.K.? Take on eight at a time? Limit?

Steve: 7500, 2500/day.

Tom: FAX classification?

Steve: I have to fill out the application.

Tom: Nancy questioned the amount of money per year.

Steve: Nancy M first made her dues. We agreed to pay about \$2000.

Steve: This board! – Hats off to you.

Steve: We used to have Randy, Colleen, Randy – they did nothing.

Bruce: I'm not "negative." I'm still upbeat.

Tom: I've always liked Fred. He's offered help.

Steve: Re: Francois.

Tom: Holmes Ranch has an open meeting once a month.

**Adjourned around 9:00**

**NASH RANCH ROAD ASSOCIATION**  
**Minutes of Board Meeting – Saturday July 5, 2014.**  
At the residence on Nash Mill Road of Tom Spinardi.

**"Agenda" items: Dues; Budget; Website; Proposed work**

**Commenced at 11:12 AM.** Steve Bramble, Don Harris, Tom Spinardi, Bruce Wicinas.

■ **The vacated board seat**

Steve: Why doesn't Francois want to do it? (serve on the board.)

Bruce: We've exhausted the pool of qualified candidates. I regret to coerce someone like Francois to join the board when we're benefiting by the volunteer help of people like him, Bill Seekins and even Nancy. They enjoy helping while they don't have to formally serve. I suggest we just let the board drop to four members. We can pitch this to the members as a viable situation in that we're aided by the competent help of several "block captains" who assume some of the duties of the board though they don't vote or attend meetings.

Steve: If we don't have five boardmembers we're in violation of the bylaws. The board will no longer have legitimacy. Why don't we urge Francois to serve? We can reassure him that he doesn't have to do much.

Bruce: (after someone referred to the current state of the "aging" list) The "aging" list looks really good right now. The only people owing a significant amount "over 90 days" are Colberg and Plowright.

Steve: Let's ask Francois.

Don: If we amend the bylaws it should be announced.

Steve: The ballot should go out ASAP and be returned by August 1.

Bruce: Need it be returned so soon? The annual meeting is August 17.

Steve: That allows plenty of time to count ballots and avoids some last minute problem.

Don: We need to give Joy a heads-up.

■ **"Agricultural" Use**

Don: There's somebody setting up a "medical marijuana" business on \_\_\_\_\_. It's a big operation, a lot of heavy equipment and supplies.

Tom: We should devise a surcharge for growers.

Don: They're using the road, heavily.

Tom: For example, Rudofsky has observed the road use of the big growers near his parcel.

Don: I have an action item for us: let's review the original bylaws.

Bruce: The original bylaws specify a charge for logging use and a charge for trucking of grapes. They're small charges. But they are a precedent for charging for commercial use.

Don: Shall we amend the by-laws?

Bruce: We should come forward with a studied policy and propose it to the owners.

Don: The growers have to go the the sherrif to get licenses.

Bruce: These licenses might have some "conditions of use." This should be public information and it could be useful for us to know.

Steve: I don't want to get into policing.

All: But they are running heavy equipment on the road. They may be heavy water users.

Bruce: There are lots of potential causes for concern.

Don: I've seen water trucks. They may not be taking all their water from a well. Recently a guy on Holmes Ranch brought in seven truckloads of water to fill a swimming pool. He did not want to take it out of the ground.

Bruce: Let's talk to Zac concerning a reasonable policy for charging for ag use. Zac is a thoughtful and candid guy who thinks about the big picture. It's a place to start. A meeting with the growers would lack candor.

Don: Bonano wants more maintenance.

Bruce: That's an opportunity for negotiation. If Bonano will accept some reasonable per-ag use charge, we can guarantee we'll get some maintenance up there pronto.

#### ■ Chipping and brush clearing

Don: I'm still pursing grant funding to cover some work such as chipping.

Steve: The amount of chipping needed on Big Meadow is large.

Tom: He's (?) planning to burn it.

Don: I talked to "A-1 Tree." A four-person crew can clear 1 to 1 1/2 miles per day, costs \$1000.

Bruce: Great.

#### ■ Revising the dues

Bruce: (briefly summarizing where the subject was left at the end of the last meeting of the "Ad Hoc Dues Committee.") The committee had no specific or helpful proposal. It just gave a sounding on several points. A reserve fund is desirable. There is not nearly enough money to apply the maintenance the road needs. An overall dues increase of 10% is feasible. Francois thinks people would balk at more. My view is - since we raise dues very rarely, why not go for

slightly more than this since we won't be able to raise them again for a long time. How about 15%. I had wanted to restructure the use fee somehow to better reflect actual use of the road. Some parcels have multiple residences for example. However we re-think it, it should not cause someone like Mila Handley to pay more. She presently receives the largest bill. Eleanor should not pay more. Somebody like Jamie Lee is a prime candidate to pay more, as the destination of much more than one typical parcel's share of the traffic.

Don: Lee doesn't get much traffic any more. One of the tenants has left.

Tom: Get the 15% from the Ag guys by imposing a better considered fee for use.

Steve: The second parcel fee should go away.

Tom: Get rid of the second parcel fee.

Bruce: One of my goals was to at least reduce the second parcel fee. However, note that it brings in about \$2000 per year. That would have to be recovered by increasing some other element of the fee structure.

Bruce: Moreover, I've changed my thinking on this. The well known argument for the second parcel fee is that the quality of the road maintains the asset value of all parcels. Hence it's a modest investment in maintaining the asset value of property. But here's another point not argued. The total cost of road maintenance is roughly proportional to the length of the road. The length of the road is roughly proportional to the number of parcels on it. The road serpentine so it services pretty much every parcel. Hence simple geometry shows there is direct correspondence between the amount of owned acreage and length of road. They guy who owns 80 acres in effect "owns" much more of the length of the road than the guy who owns a total of 25. By this logic the extra parcel fee is super-modest as a charge for a second 40 acres, for example, when the second 40 acres requires as much length of road - and of maintenance cost - as the an owner's principal 40 acres.

Don: I think a 15% increase it pretty high.

Steve: The lower road has \$40,000 in the bank. That seems excessive.

Bruce: Somebody's gonna raise that point, soon.

Tom: Let's talk to Paul.

Tom: Let's lower the lower road fee.

Steve: Shift some of the lower road fee allocation, from the lower road to the upper road. That would shift major funds to the upper road. The amount paid by the lower road people would be reduced by the amount shifted. The upper road and Clowe people continue to pay the same but a chunk of it would go to the upper road (secretary: and I assume to Clowe.)

Don: Everybody pays per-mile, including the lower road people.

Bruce: I'm sorry I don't have a copy of the dues-charging rules with me.

Bruce: What about the reserve fund?

Steve: Keep the \$25 per parcel we've been paying for a couple years. Let it keep growing. It's grown to \$3500 already.

Steve: Shift the allocation, AND increase by 10%.

### **Proposed work**

Bruce: Tom, your spreadsheet of proposed work is impressive. What's the total on this? I failed to print it.

Tom: On Chemise Ridge: \$6300 for rock and grading. \$1500 for trimming. That's 10 loads rock, 24 hours labor.

Tom: Oh, I see that the priority work on my spreadsheet exceeds what we can do this fall.

Don: We need a two year plan. Thus we can tell people, "this work happens this fall" and "that work happens next spring." For example, "Chimise Ridge now," "Nash Mill in the spring."

Tom: I realize I need to budget June to June instead of Jan to December.

Don: By showing an 18-24 month plan we can defuse impatience.

Steve: On Chemise let's take out brush clearing.

Tom: We gotta do the brush clearing. You can't even run equipment through there in its present condition.

Tom: As Don suggests - we tell Bonano and Rudofsky "we'll get to you next spring - seven months from now."

Don: Have A-1 do the clearing.

Bruce: That would be a good way to try them out. Give them a sample project like Chemise.

Tom: Let's just have them do the whole thing - brush clear Chemise and upper Nash Mill. Both are urgent needs.

### **Adjourned at 12:20**

Action items for Don (he had left for a while and returned after we adjourned.)

Tom, Don - get a list of the growers licenses and of those who may be operating without.

Don: to talk to Craig about growers' licenses. Do they contain information of use to us?

Don: to talk to A-1 about brushing Chemise Ridge and upper Nash Mill.